Sunday 29 September 2013

 
My First Blog.............
So here goes, after I eventually worked out how to create a blog page I'm finally up and running :)

This week has been very exciting and opened doors to new opportunities.

On 24th September I enrolled at Middlesex University on the Professional Practice B.A.Hons course. This was an eventful day for me as I've always wanted to achieve a degree and this is my chance to conquer that dream. Fingers crossed in 15months time I'll get that photo opportunity with scroll in hand :)

It was great to meet everyone on the BAPP course and hear everyone's experiences and backgrounds and to find out what's brought them to the course. Paula Nottingham and Alan Durrant were so welcoming and explained the details of the course to us. Its brilliant that BAPP caters for Artistic professionals from all backgrounds. I feel I'm going to learn and gain from every individual that's on the course and I hope I can help and share ideas with you on topics raised.

Throughout the enrolment day many topics were discussed, but one word I came away thinking about was 'REFLECTION' . Alan Durrant raised some very interesting points about looking at our professional practice from different angles and asked us what are our next steps to progress. This was made clear in a newspaper exercise the group took part in. We all had to look through a paper and find an article you liked. I chose an article about a fund raising day for charity, I was attracted to the colourful photo's of the event and the various activities captured on camera. The article's title was "Warm hearts and soggy teddies, Wet weather fails to dampen enthusiasm for hospice fundraiser." (source: Lewisham Mercury Newspaper) This made me think about people who put on a smile no matter how bad the their situation is. It also brought back memories of family members I've lost due to Cancer. It's funny how an image can trigger memories of your own? Does anybody else look at a photo and take themselves back to that moment or trigger memories related to an image?

Paula asked us what is our next step after finding the article of our choice, how would we find more info? What sources would we use? It made us think about technologies we could use to get sources for the next step e.g. after my article I could research the charity named and find out how they help people, what was your next step?

A very big tip a learnt from the day was;
Questioning will attract an audience, create connections in order to gain info and help!

So fellow BAPP students...I'm looking forward to commenting on each others blogs and discovering new insights to my professional practice.

This is going to be a rollercoaster experience which I can't wait to start!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie,

    Great to have you on board with BAPP Arts. There are already people posting ... I've commented to a few, so I look forward to seeing you post and comment!

    Welcome to BAPP Arts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie,

    Your comments about reflection really stood out to me. I understand the connection you get when you see an image as I feel same. I really feel an image speaks out a million words. When I see certain adverts which relate to my family member it makes me think or them and there last journey they had to go through in life. As depressing as it sounds I try not to see it in a negative light, I like to think of it as a positive way of remembering and reflecting.

    Are pictures your main source of trigging a memory/reflection?
    Personally music is a trigger for me. A lot of times you will hear me say 'Oh this song reminds me of...' and there will always be a reason behind it. I can emotionally connect with it, I'm not sure if this is because I am a singer and performer? but having said that people amongst my family and friendship group who have had no previous performing arts background can really reflect on the past and individuals through music as the emotion it sends out is strong and powerful, would you agree?

    Beth x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Beth. I don't believe you have to have a musical background to listen to a song and 'remember a time when...' I have a very musical background, but all of my closest friends aren't into dance, musical theatre or anything to do with music and they always get reminded of a time, place or memory from a song or a tune.
    With music,I find everything more emotional. As a choreographer I always find it easy to choreograph in my head first, just lying down with my headphones in at quite a high volume, as it triggers the right emotions and movements that would suit the song or piece of music. I personally love choreographing to music that reminds me of certain times in the past. I get a lot more out of it visually and mentally.
    Pictures and videos definitely trigger memories just as much as music for me, whether it be a cine film or black and white photograph etc.

    This has really helped me for my next blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments Kimberley and Bethany.

    I agree Music/Songs trigger many memories for me like images. When you hear a particular song/tune it takes you back to a camera shot in your head for example, whenever I hear 'Lady Madonna' by the Beatles it takes me back to my first holiday away with my friends doing a silly dance in a night club, remembering being really happy. I have lots of songs that triggered a photo memory in my head if its a sad memory or photo memory.

    I feel music is a great way to portray how you are feeling. It also helps you deal with your emotions and get through difficult times. Whenever I feel down or deflated by life I play a tune that puts a smile on face and gets me dancing. Music is a powerful language and can be shared by all. I discovered this within my phonics group at work. I teach reception aged children and 8 in the class speak polish as their first language. So I've introduced little musical tunes to help them remember their letter sound names, this has been a positive exercise as the children are vocalising letter sounds with more confidence. I'm looking forward to see how they progress through out the year.

    ReplyDelete