Sunday 24 November 2013

Task 2d Inquiry Task

Having completed the tasks in part 2 many thoughts and ideas have surfaced which relate to my professional practice and intrigue me to develop further. Within my journal writing and critical reflection task, I've noticed ideas that link my singing teaching and early years teaching assistant work together e.g. teaching phonics. Below are some questions that I've been playing with;

"What relevance does singing have on early years development?"
 
"Do reception aged children benefit from singing games/rhymes?"
 
Answers I got from my own personal experience relating to these questions are;
  • Singing helps children to be able to count in sequence.
  • Nursery rhymes help language development.
  • Break language barriers for non English speaking children, give them confidence to join in.
  • Help social interaction between children.
  • Encourage learning sounds phonetically.
  • Bring fun and enjoyment to learning.
  • Assist numeracy and literacy learning activities.
This led me on to think about actions and learning;
 
"Do children benefit from physical actions and sounds to help their learning?"
 
 
I use actions when teaching phonics to help children remember the letter and its sound e.g. 'm' we use 'Maisie, Mountain, Mountain' and get pupils to repeat the words and sound writing the letter with their finger to help their learning and memory ability.
 



 
(Read, Write, Ink Phonic Sounds. Author Ruth Miskin, Published by Oxford University Press.)
 
 
Having a visual aid, sound and action encourages learning, giving children an opportunity to learn through concrete experiences (action-in-action). This aspect of visual aids got me thinking about how often within the classroom setting we use visual aids e.g. timetables, behavioural charts etc. This posed the question;
 
"Do visual aids help children's development and learning?"
 
 
Using my own experiences from working with early years and SEN (Special Educational Needs) children visual aids are very important to assist a childs learning to access the curriculum.  It can be used as a method of communication e.g. when working within an ARP unit (Additionally Resourced Provision unit), the children who had autism used PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System). This allowed the pupil's to communicate through imagery and gave them a voice. 

 
 
 
 
Teaching children singing and running an afterschool 'Glee Club' I use lots of music and movement within my lesson plans. Also running an Attention, Balance and Co-ordination group last year with SEN children I discovered benefits from using music and movement to encourage improvement on gross and fine motor skills. This thought process brought me to the question;
 
"Do children, especially SEN children gain from music and movement focused activities?" 
 
 
With this idea you can include musical instruments, dance, movement, ribbon dancing etc.
 
Please comment and raise ideas about how I can improve or develop these questions for my professional practice. Does anyone have any similar experiences working with children? Do you use music or visual aids to assist your professional practice? 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




5 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie,
    I'm beginning task 2d and I too use so many visuals and different reward systems. I've recently been on a course about Down syndrome children and the best way for them to learn and rewards and timetables are the main aims to help the child progress!

    Great blog I can really relate to this. I shall be blogging my task 2d so please watch out for it :-) I would love to hear feedback

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethany!
    I think we will benefit from each others professional practice as we work in very similar settings, and our experiences seem very similar on daily events. Reading your blogs you work very closely with SEN children and I feel we will both gain from each others experiences and knowledge especially later on the course when it comes to our Inquiry.

    Within my literacy group last year I had a down syndrome pupil and visual aids were a great way to get them focused and help their understanding. The 1 to 1 SA used to carry around a collection of laminated images e.g. toilet, dinner, carpet time etc., so the pupil could choose a picture to communicate and also inform the child what is next in the timetable.

    Within my reception class visual rewards are a great positive effect on progress. We have a 'Treasure of the week' board. Each week a pupil is chosen, they achieve it by demonstrating good behaviour, hard work, good attitude/manners, good pieces of work etc.

    I look forward to your blog and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natalie,

    The format of your first question about the relevance singing had left it very open to the readers own interpretation. Obviously, being in this industry I would agree it's relevant but you could argue it's not necessary, you say it helps them count in sequence but likewise when learning maths for the first time, you start by counting to 3 then 4 the 5 etc. It reminded me of the question we discussed at the third campus session and how to define the difference between 'relevance' and 'importance'. I think for an inquiry structure this is good because it leads onto lots of different pathways to explore. I also like the way you answered it in bullet points as it was clear and easy for me to read and you told me the basic information I wanted to know. The rest of your questions could all be answered 'yes' or 'no'. If you wanted to leave it more open you could perhaps begin the question, 'How do...' as opposed to just 'Do...'. I'm not too sure which would be the "correct" way to go about it but I just thought I would suggest the idea to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy! Thanks for your feedback I really appreciate it. It's made me look at my questions differently and notice how open they are and need to be more refined to achieve a definitive answer. I will inco-operate your advise about opening the question with 'Do' I agree with you reading them back you could just answer 'yes' or 'no'. When posing a question in my next blogs I will ask myself can I elaborate on my answer does it leave it open for discussion. Thanks for your comments It's really helpful to move forward on my critical reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Natalie,

    I like the fact you use rewads with students we still even have a reward system in place at secondary school hope you review went okay with the primary school. I do think that singing does help with sounds and sounding letters out. I really enjoyed reading your blog and foudn it really inetersting to read from a dance teacher its great to here the opposite side of the spectrum as a singing teacher.

    Hope all is well Geri

    ReplyDelete