Monday 21 April 2014

Task 6a & b


Looking at Reader 6 and exploring different research tools for inquiry I think a qualitative method is better for my line of inquiry. With my line of inquiry being aimed at a target audience e.g. people who work with early years it’s best to use my contacts such as work colleagues and friends who I have a good relationship with in order to conduct an in depth interview for better results and evidence.

 

Using my everyday professional practice as an early years teaching assistant/singing teacher as a basis for my inquiry allows me to observe pupils I work with closely on a daily basis to notice the effects music and movement have on the pupil’s development, if it be via a learning activity or continuous play. With this participant/insider researcher method I need to be aware of a bias outcome for my inquiry so I need to consider the negatives as well as the positives music and movement have on the effect of a child’s development.

 

The important matter of using my primary school for research evidence is gaining trust and permission from the head teacher and fellow teachers for their co-operation to take part in an interview and the permission to use child development recorded progress data. I arranged a meeting with my Head teacher before carrying out any trial interview for my inquiry to ask her permission to allow teachers to participate. Once I got her permission I asked Emma a reception teacher her permission/consent to take part in my inquiry by signing a consent form. All evidence and data used will be sensitive to the participant and kept confidential especially pupil progress data, pupils names will not be used. If I need any photographic evidence of observational evidence e.g. pupils taking part in a music and movement activity, the Head teacher explained I need parental consent if the images are used outside the school setting and not to use children who are under safeguarding agencies. To overcome this issue I need consider selecting a small group of pupils whose parents wouldn’t mind me allowing their child to participate and create a parental consent form explaining the line of inquiry and to allow their child to participate and be photographed strictly for university purposes.

 

Deciding on the research tools of ‘Interview’ and ‘Observation’ I carried out a trial interview with a fellow colleague/friend whose a reception teacher. I decided to record the interview as an audio as I want to keep the participants identity confidential. The interview was carried out as a semi-structured interview, participant was aware of inquiry topic and given questions so they could prepare informal answers. This method was successful and produced great evidence which supports the inquiry question that music and movement helps early years development, it also opened up new ideas for me to explore and research further to develop my inquiry.

 

Below is a link to the transcript of the trail interview that took place (I have signed consent for using interview answers) :
 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1neTV59axJFbUNmN1MtQVk3c1E/edit?usp=sharing


No comments:

Post a Comment