Thursday 3 October 2013

Negative or Positive? How do you approach life?

I attended a speed awareness course last weekend starting the day with a negative attitude with the feeling of, “do I really have to be here?” However, the course was very informative and made me reflect on the way I drive, my attitude to driving and to be more aware of hazardous situations on the road. Taking part in the course I found my thought processes were seeing things from a reflective point of view this was triggered by my first module of reflective practices.

 

I came away with lots of thought processes and connected driving to the performing professional world. The driving course leaders explained your attitude on the road can have a knock on affect to other drivers e.g. if your irate, impatient and annoying other drivers  it can lead to them getting anxious and worked up which eventually could create an incident. This idea of a knock on affect made me think about attitudes people have towards theatre/film companies. For example; at an audition a performer may mention a negative opinion about the company you’re auditioning for which will make you question do I want to work for this company? Or the opposite circumstance a performer may say a positive comment to make you get excited and want to be employed by the company. Individuals have positive and negative opinions about a variety of theatre/film companies, as a practicing professional do we listen to their opinion or find out for ourselves?

 

From a personal experience I’ve learnt the hard way trusting companies, but if a fellow performer asked me my opinion about a theatre/film company I would view my opinion/concerns but let them make their own decisions what’s wrong for one individual maybe right for another, do you agree?

 

Another key point of the driving course that triggered a thought process was how distractions can affect your focus on the present task. As a working professional I have lots going on and sometimes I need to slow down and focus on one thing, give myself time to think, what do I want to do in the future? How can I better myself? How can I improve my professional practice?

 

I’m a strong believer in having a positive attitude when approaching tasks in life, this concludes in a more pro-active effect. Throughout my career as a performer I’ve experienced plenty of knock backs, but having a positive outlook on life you create new opportunities for yourself rather than dwell on the negative and live in the past. Stop thinking what if? Start thinking, what’s next? Ask yourself, What’s your attitude on life? Do you think negative or positive?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment